Visuddhimagga IX-36

248. Sace panassa evaṃ satthu pubbacaritaguṇaṃ paccavekkhatopi dīgharattaṃ kilesānaṃ dāsabyaṃ upagatassa neva taṃ paṭighaṃ vūpasammati,

7)如果这样观察导师宿世所行之德,依然长时为烦恼驱使,不能息灭瞋恨,

Ñ(IX,36): But if, as he reviews the special qualities of the Master's former conduct, the resentment still does not subside in him, since he has long been used to the slavery of defilement,



athānena anamataggiyāni paccavekkhitabbāni.

则应观察无始以来的轮回。

Ñ: then he should review the suttas that deal with the beginninglessness [of the round of rebirths].



Tatra hi vuttaṃ –

即所谓:

Ñ: Here is what is said:



‘‘Na so, bhikkhave, satto sulabharūpo, yo na mātābhūtapubbo, yo na pitābhūtapubbo, yo na bhātā, yo na bhaginī, yo na putto, yo na dhītābhūtapubbā’’ti (saṃ. ni. 2.137-142).

「诸比丘!难得有有情不是往昔的母亲,不是往昔的父亲,不是往昔的兄弟,姊妹及子女的」。

Ñ: 'Bhikkhus, it is not easy to find a being who has not formerly been your mother … your father … your brother … your sister … your son … your daughter' (S.ii, 189-90).



Tasmā tasmiṃ puggale evaṃ cittaṃ uppādetabbaṃ,

于是便能对那(敌)人生起这样的心:

Ñ: Consequently he should think about that person thus:



‘‘ayaṃ kira me atīte mātā hutvā dasamāse kucchiyā pariharitvā muttakarīsakheḷasiṅghāṇikādīni haricandanaṃ viya ajigucchamānā apanetvā ure naccāpentī aṅgena pariharamānā posesi,

这人实在曾成我过去世的母亲,我在她的胎内住过十月,(出生后)如拿黄旃檀一样的拿开我屎尿涕唾等不生厌恶,抱我于胸怀及负之以腰的养育我;

Ñ: 'This person, it seems, as my mother in the past carried me in her womb for ten months and removed from me without disgust, as if it were yellow sandalwood, my urine, excrement, spittle, snot, etc., and played with me in her lap, and nourished me, carrying me about on her hip.



pitā hutvā ajapathasaṅkupathādīni gantvā vāṇijjaṃ payojayamāno mayhamatthāya jīvitampi pariccajitvā ubhatobyūḷhe saṅgāme pavisitvā nāvāya mahāsamuddaṃ pakkhanditvā aññāni ca dukkarāni karitvā ‘puttake posessāmī’ti tehi tehi upāyehi dhanaṃ saṃharitvā maṃ posesi.

亦曾成为我的父亲,旅行山羊的(小)道及崎岖的路为我而经商,冒生命之险而进入两军对峙的战场,乘船出于大海,以及经历其它一切的困苦,为的只念「抚养此子」而以种种的方法蓄财来养育我;

Ñ: And this person as my father went by goat paths and paths set on piles, etc., to pursue the trade of merchant, and he risked his life for me by going into battle in double array, by sailing on the great ocean in ships and doing other difficult things, and he nourished me by bringing back wealth by one means or another thinking to feed his children.



Bhātā, bhaginī, putto, dhītā ca hutvāpi idañcidañcupakāraṃ akāsīti tatra me nappatirūpaṃ manaṃ padūsetu’’nti.

亦曾成为(我过去世的)兄弟姊妹子女,对我做了各种的帮助。所以我对此人而起恶意,是不相应的。

Ñ: And as my brother, sister, son, daughter, this person gave me such and such help. So it is unbecoming for me to harbour hate for him in my mind'.



No comments:

Notice:

Terms of use: You may copy, reformat, reprint, republish, and redistribute this work in any medium whatsoever, provided that: (1) you only make such copies, etc. available free of charge; and (2) Please ask permission from BPS to use the English translation of the Visuddhimagga.

Acknowledgment: Thanks to Buddhist Publication Society (BPS) and Venerable Nyanatusita for allowing me to use the English translation of the Visuddhimagga (The Path Of Purification) by Bhadantācariya Buddhaghosa, translated from the Pāḷi by Bhikkhu Ñāṇamoli, as part of a combined Chinese English translation.

Sādhu ! Sādhu ! Sādhu !