Visuddhimagga I-121

Tato mahāmoggallānaṃ āha – ‘‘āvuso, vacīviññattiṃ nissāya uppanno pāyāso antesu nikkhamitvā bhūmiyaṃ carantesupi paribhuñjituṃ ayuttarūpo’’ti. Imañca udānaṃ udānesi –

于是他对目犍连说:「道友!纵使把我的脏腑痛出肚子来在地上跳动,也不应该吃那种由于我的语言所表示而得来的粥。」并喜说此颂:

Ñ(I,121): Then he said to the venerable Mahā-Moggallāna, 'Friend, even if one's bowels come out and trail on the ground, it is not fitting to eat gruel got by verbal intimation', and he uttered this exclamation:

Han: In the Foot-note of Burmese translation, it is explained that [one's bowels come out and trail on the ground] is used in those days to mean [eating some food which is obtained by wrong kinds of search, i.e., food obtained by unsuitable means such as verbal intimation, etc.].



‘‘Vacīviññattivipphārā, uppannaṃ madhupāyasaṃ;

Sace bhutto bhaveyyāhaṃ, sājīvo garahito mama.

我若吃了由我的语言表示所得的蜜粥,

便是污蔑了我的活命戒,

Ñ: 'My livelihood might well be blamed

If I were to consent to eat

The honey and the gruel obtained

By influence of verbal hints.



‘‘Yadipi me antaguṇaṃ, nikkhamitvā bahi care;

Neva bhindeyyaṃ ājīvaṃ, cajamānopi jīvitaṃ.

纵使我的脏腑迸出于肚外,

宁舍身命也不破活命戒。

Ñ: And even if my bowels obtrude[ɔbˈtru:d, əb-]

And trail outside, and even though

My life is to be jeopardized['dʒepədaiz],

I will not blot my livelihood (Miln. 370).



‘‘Ārādhemi sakaṃ cittaṃ, vivajjemi anesanaṃ;

Nāhaṃ buddhappaṭikuṭṭhaṃ, kāhāmi ca anesana’’nti.

除邪求,我的心多么自在,

我决不作为佛呵弃的邪求。

Ñ: For I will satisfy my heart

By shunning all wrong kinds of search;

And never will I undertake

The search the Buddhas have condemned'. [43]



No comments:

Notice:

Terms of use: You may copy, reformat, reprint, republish, and redistribute this work in any medium whatsoever, provided that: (1) you only make such copies, etc. available free of charge; and (2) Please ask permission from BPS to use the English translation of the Visuddhimagga.

Acknowledgment: Thanks to Buddhist Publication Society (BPS) and Venerable Nyanatusita for allowing me to use the English translation of the Visuddhimagga (The Path Of Purification) by Bhadantācariya Buddhaghosa, translated from the Pāḷi by Bhikkhu Ñāṇamoli, as part of a combined Chinese English translation.

Sādhu ! Sādhu ! Sādhu !