Visuddhimagga I-137

Sekkhānaṃ pana sīlaṃ diṭṭhivasena aparāmaṭṭhattā, puthujjanānaṃ vā pana rāgavasena aparāmaṭṭhasīlaṃ aparāmaṭṭhapārisuddhīti veditabbaṃ, kuṭumbiyaputtatissattherassa sīlaṃ viya.

4)有学的戒不执着于恶见,或凡夫的不着有贪之戒,故名「无执取遍净戒」。如富家之子帝须长老的戒一样。

Ñ(I,137): (d) What should be understood as virtue consisting in purification not adhered to is trainers' virtue, because it is not adhered to by [false] view, and ordinary men's virtue when not adhered to by greed. Like the virtue of the Elder Tissa the Landowner's Son (Kuṭumbiyaputta-Tissa thera).



So hi āyasmā tathārūpaṃ sīlaṃ nissāya arahatte patiṭṭhātukāmo verike āha –

长老即依如是之戒而证得阿罗汉的,他对怨敌说:

Ñ: Wanting to become established in Arahantship in dependence on such virtue, this venerable one told his enemies:



‘‘Ubho pādāni bhinditvā, saññapessāmi vo ahaṃ;

Aṭṭiyāmi harāyāmi, sarāgamaraṇaṃ aha’’nti.

「我今告知汝, 断我一双足,

若有贪之死, 我实惭且恶」。

Ñ: I broke the bones of both my legs

To give the pledge you asked from me.

I am revolted and ashamed

At death accompanied by greed.



‘‘Evāhaṃ cintayitvāna, sammasitvāna yoniso;

Sampatte aruṇuggamhi, arahattaṃ apāpuṇi’’nti. (dī. ni. Aṭṭha. 2.373);

[PTS 049] 我如是思惟, 如理而正观,

至于黎明时, 得证阿罗汉。

Ñ: [49] And after I had thought on this,

And wisely then applied insight,

When the sun rose and shone on me,

I had become an Arahant' (see MA.i,233).



No comments:

Notice:

Terms of use: You may copy, reformat, reprint, republish, and redistribute this work in any medium whatsoever, provided that: (1) you only make such copies, etc. available free of charge; and (2) Please ask permission from BPS to use the English translation of the Visuddhimagga.

Acknowledgment: Thanks to Buddhist Publication Society (BPS) and Venerable Nyanatusita for allowing me to use the English translation of the Visuddhimagga (The Path Of Purification) by Bhadantācariya Buddhaghosa, translated from the Pāḷi by Bhikkhu Ñāṇamoli, as part of a combined Chinese English translation.

Sādhu ! Sādhu ! Sādhu !