Visuddhimagga VIII-26

Yathā hi catumahāpathe ṭhapite lakkhamhi sabbadisāhi āgatā sarasattitomarapāsāṇādayo nipatanti,

譬如建立在四衢通道的鹄的,来自四方八面的矢剑枪石等都落于此。

Ñ(VIII,26): And just as when a target is set up at a cross-roads and then arrows, spears, pikes, stones, etc., come from all directions and fall upon it,



evaṃ kāyepi sabbupaddavā nipatanti.

此身亦然,为一切灾难的鹄的。

Ñ: so too all kinds of accidents befall the body,



Svāyaṃ tesampi upaddavānaṃ nipātena maraṇaṃ nigacchatiyeva.

此身为诸灾难所袭必至于死。

Ñ: and it also comes to death through these accidents befalling it.



Tenāha bhagavā –

所以世尊说:

Ñ: Hence the Blessed One said:



‘‘idha, bhikkhave, bhikkhu divase nikkhante rattiyā paṭihitāya iti paṭisañcikkhati, bahukā kho me paccayā maraṇassa, ahi vā maṃ ḍaṃseyya, vicchiko vā maṃ ḍaṃseyya, satapadī vā maṃ ḍaṃseyya, tena me assa kālaṅkiriyā, so mamassa antarāyo,

「诸比丘!兹有比丘,日去夜来之时,作是思惟:『我实有甚多死的缘,蛇啮我,蝎啮我,百足虫啮我,它们都足以使我命终,所以都是我的危碍』。

Ñ: 'Here, bhikkhus, when day is departing and night is drawing on, a bhikkhu considers thus: "In many ways I can risk death. A snake may bite me, or a scorpion may sting me, or a centipede may sting me. I might die of that, and that would set me back.



upakkhalitvā vā papateyyaṃ, bhattaṃ vā me bhuttaṃ byāpajjeyya, pittaṃ vā me kuppeyya, semhaṃ vā me kuppeyya, satthakā vā me vātā kuppeyyuṃ, tena me assa kālaṅkiriyā, so mamassa antarāyo’’ti.

或者『我颠踬跌倒,饮食于身中腐败,胆汁的扰乱,痰的扰乱,剑风的扰乱,它们都足以使我命终,所以都是我的危碍』」。

Ñ: Or I might stumble and fall, or the food I have eaten might disagree with me, or my bile might get upset, or my phlegm might get upset [and sever my joints as it were] like knives. I might die of that, and that would set me back"' (A.iii,306).



Evaṃ (a. ni. 6.20) kāyabahusādhāraṇato maraṇaṃ anussaritabbaṃ.

如是「以身多共同者」而念死。

Ñ: That is how death should be recollected as to sharing the body with many.



No comments:

Notice:

Terms of use: You may copy, reformat, reprint, republish, and redistribute this work in any medium whatsoever, provided that: (1) you only make such copies, etc. available free of charge; and (2) Please ask permission from BPS to use the English translation of the Visuddhimagga.

Acknowledgment: Thanks to Buddhist Publication Society (BPS) and Venerable Nyanatusita for allowing me to use the English translation of the Visuddhimagga (The Path Of Purification) by Bhadantācariya Buddhaghosa, translated from the Pāḷi by Bhikkhu Ñāṇamoli, as part of a combined Chinese English translation.

Sādhu ! Sādhu ! Sādhu !